Monday, October 24, 2011

Pumpkin Frozen Yogurt and Coconut Butter

I've already declared my love for pumpkin, and with get together's and Halloween parties happening just about every weekend, it's giving me an excuse to continue creating dishes that feature my first fall love.

First was a recipe I was highly skeptical in trying. I found it on pinterest (which my husband calls my 'other lover' for the ridiculous amount of time I spent there), but was not convinced it would work out. But I tweaked and prodded and came up with a version that I think is just right.

And bonus? It's healthy!


Pumpkin Frozen Yogurt:

1 large container Greek Yogurt (I like Fage original for its consistency)
1 cup coconut nectar
1 16 oz can organic canned pumpkin
1 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice
1 teaspoon vanilla extract



Place in an ice cream maker for 40 minutes and you'll get.........


After that you'll just seal it in an airtight container in your freezer. It's a bit tart, but oh-so-pumpkiny! And don't worry, if you don't have an ice cream maker you can still make this recipe. Just put in a container in your freezer and stir ever hour.

This is a nutritious frozen treat with healthy fats and sugars. Coconut nectar is the perfect sweetener. It's low-glycemic so it won't spike your blood sugar and give you that fun sugar slump.

Speaking of coconut, my kitchen was already so noisey from the ice cream maker that I decided to try another recipe I'd heard about; homemade coconut butter. It's so easy!

No, really it is. Ready? All you need is one package of organic non-sweetened coconut and a food processor. Nothing else. Seriously.

After about 5 minutes on high



It takes about 10 minutes on high in my hamilton brand food processor for the oils to release out of the dried coconut. Other food bloggers have tried this and complained about the grittiness and consistency so I decided to help with that I would strain it through my mesh strainer and voila!  A much better texture.


The result? A pretty smooth coconut butter/oil. The science behind it is that as the processor moves the coconut there is heat from the friction that helps release the coconut's natural oils. Straining it takes out the gritty pulp, leaving just the essential oils and residue. Let sit for about an hour and it will harden up nicely. Store in an airtight container in your pantry.

The facts on how healthy, or not healthy coconut oil really is aren't conclusive. Some point to the health benefits that coconut oil has, like the infamous and supposedly healthy lauric acid. Others poo-poo coconut oil for it's high saturated fat content. I personally like it for it's texture and the slightly nutty flavor it adds to dishes, but I suspect like anything else it's good to take it in moderation.

I will say this though,  I'd need about 10 bags (at about $2.50 each) from the store to equal the amount of true coconut oil I buy from my local whole foods market and I pay about $22.00 for that. So to me the only novelty about making your own is that it's cool to say you've done so. There's something satisfying about saying you made something "from scratch". It's that pride that you can, but I probably wouldn't do it again. I'm a bit too practical for that.

And busy, let's not forget busy. Martha Stewart may have time to make all things "from scratch" but she gets paid.

Speaking of busy, off to bed, but not before a heaping bowl of healthy pumpkin frozen yogurt.

Oh pumpkin, how I looove thee!



Find other great fall recipes here at Simply Sugar and Gluten-Free's Slightly Indulgent Tuesdays.




”newlyweds-blog.com”

No comments:

Post a Comment