Saturday, October 29, 2011

Curried Pumpkin Soup with Parmesan Witch Finger Dippers


I'm all for organic, homemade food but sometimes you just don't have time. Sometimes the dog pukes all over the carpet, your husband ends up forgetting half of what you asked him to get at the store, and you burn the first batch of savory cookies you were making.

Or maybe that's just me. I digress...

 I needed something quick, easy, and amazing for a costume party tonight and I didn't have alot of time to it.

I love pumpkin and I also love curry sauce. In my mind, the two are a match made in heaven and what's more yummy then some homemade parmesan crackers made in the shape of witch fingers to go with it?

For the soup all you'll need is:



1 24 oz can organic canned pumpkin
2 cups coconut milk
1 can coconut curry sauce (I like Archer's Farms, the target brand because in my research it's gluten free, and I can read all the ingredients)
1 tablespoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon kosher salt

Mix together and cook on medium for about 45 minutes. The longer you simmer it, the spicier it will get. So don't let it sit too long if you're not into some curried spice. I let mine sit for an hour on medium and that ended up being a bit too spicy for me!

See? Easy! It has a bit of a kick to it too!

For the crackers you'll need:

2 tablespoons cornmeal
3/4 cup gluten free all purpose flour
5 tablespoons butter (you can also use coconut oil and it compliments these with a nutty flavor)
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 cup Parmesan Reggiano (use the real deal, don't buy the fake parmesan, it won't turn out right)
1 egg



Mix the cornmeal, flour, and butter together (the butter must be soft) together until it resembles wet sand. Add the cheese and the egg, stirring it with a fork until the batter sticks together. Place it on wax paper and place another piece on top. Roll the dough out until a half inch thick and place in the freezer for about 15 minutes.

Cut the dough into one inch strips and place a sliced almond on the top of the strip. Use a fork to make the indentations on the middle of the strips to resemble knuckles. Place in the oven for 13 minutes on 350. Once golden brown around the edges they are ready!

These are perfection dipped in the easy pumpkin curried soup. Take it to a halloween party or just serve it for your family if you need an easy and fun dinner.

You can also use the above recipe to make homemade cheese-its. Just sub the parmesan for sharp cheddar and cut into squares before baking. Trust me, these are the perfect treat!

Go Here for more spooky Halloweeny recipes and ideas!

No comments:

Post a Comment